Learn Everything there is to know about strength, fitness and lifestyle for dads.
DEXA scans are the gold standard in body composition measurement. Forget the body fat % scales you got on Amazon, they are nothing compared to this...
Ever wondered how many calories you ACTUALLY need to survive? No? Fair enough, but I have. And for that reason, I decided to get a metabolic test.
If fat loss is your goal, then its helpful, but not necessary to add in some conditioning to your program. If the thought of turning up to the local crossfit box (otherwise known as gyms to normal people) fills you with dread then fear not. There are more than enough ways to a skin a fat cat, and you don't need to buy an obscenely expensive road bike, or wear the even more obscene lycra that goes with it to get the dadbod in good shape...
Contrary to popular belief, every picture you take of yourself sans shirt, does not to be shared with instagram, and should DEFINITELY not be sent to the office hottie. Most of the StrongDads we work with shy away from progress selfies because it often evokes feelings of criticism and/or attention seeking and narcissism.
I think we are all adult enough now to know the addage of you can achieve anything you set your mind to' is somewhat of a fallacy. It doesnt matter how much 'want it' or how hard I train, the likelihood of me being a world class jocky weighing (at my adult lightest) around 80kg means my dreams of a derby win are minimal.
Powerbuilding is a combination of two different training styles: powerlifting and bodybuilding. It uses three compound exercises the deadlift, bench press and squat to build strength, while bodybuilding exercises help grow muscle size and definition.
Show me someone that doesnt want to get stronger and healthier and I'll show you a liar. We all want strength & fitness in some form, and everyone who trains will get it to some degree, but if your struggling to make significant gains, you might need to hear these uncomfortable truths.
When going into a phase of training that requires you to cut calories and not feel like the walls are closing in on you by 2pm, stopping yourself reaching for the biscuit tin takes serious levels of self motivation and will power. Now, you might have considered meal prepping your breakfast, lunches and snacks to avoid a mid morning or afternoon crash. however, soon realised the meal prep life wasn't for me.
Muscular hypertrophy can be induced by progressive overload. However, the precise mechanisms are not clearly understood; currently accepted hypotheses involve some combination of mechanical tension, metabolic fatigue, and muscular damage. - So WTF does that mean? Well read on....
When you get your body composition measured, Like in a DEXA scan (Which we have a video on) you get an estimate of your body's fat mass. For example, your estimated body fat may be 24%. But have you ever wondered what makes up the other 76%?